However, no one prepared me for the dangers involving bikes. Yes, I know the basics like 'wear your helmet'... but all those rules apply to being the person that is actually riding the bike. How could I know that danger was lurking just around the corner?! There I was walking across campus, minding my own business when it happened. I usually choose to walk with my ipod, because let's face it, everyone wishes they had their own theme music to walk to! Anyway, I usually keep the volume down in order to have a basic awareness of my surroundings. However, a particularly good song came on (you know, the kind that you have a hard time not dancing to,) and so I cranked the volume up. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, and I figured why not?! What's the harm (besides potential hearing loss)?!
I soon learned the error of my ways. After cranking the volume up, I looked down to return my ipod to it's cozy home inside my pocket. My eyes were averted for probably a grand total of 5 seconds, but that's all it took. I looked up just in time to see a very surprised biker and his bike ram smack into me. That's right folks, I got hit by a bike. And not just any bike, a nice, big mountain bike with nice, thick tires. We both went down, and backpacks went flying! It turns out, the biker (we shall call him Bob, he being the 'green, save the trees' kind of fellow that he was,) had been distracted by a nearby squirrel running up the tree, and didn't see me until it was too late. Needless to say, Bob was frantic, trying to apologize and help me up. I think he was a little puzzled, and didn't quite know what to do with me, because I was too busy rolling on the ground laughing uncontrollably. I mean...c'mon, it was freaking hilarious! Who gets hit by a bike?!
I finally got control of my laughter, and assured Bob that I was just fine. No broken bones, and minimal blood! Then we parted ways. At the time, all I could see was how ridiculously funny the whole situation was. But now, as I sit here nearly seven hours later after the incident, I fear I am feeling the effects. I have a big bruise that starts mid-thigh, and goes all the way up to my ribs from where the bike hit me. I also have a small scrape and a bruise forming on my opposite elbow from breaking my fall. Right now I am feeling empathy for punching bags!
So, my friends, go forth with a new sense of awareness and beware the perils of 'the bike'. You never know where they might be lurking. If you've learned anything from my cautionary tale... Remember, hard times don't knock you down...but bikes sure do!
No comments:
Post a Comment