Happy 4th of July! This is my most favorite holiday in the whole world. I love everything about it. It has everything that one could need in life! Good food (especially BBQ), parades, fireworks, rodeos, music, red white and blue, and good people, of course.
When I was younger, every year we would travel up to Oakley, where we would line the sides of main street to enjoy the annual parade. We would risk life and limb running into the street to gather all the candy that fell short of reaching us. Heaven forbid that one tootsie roll goes unclaimed! Then we would literally run to the building for the patriotic program in order to get good seats. This hour was always filled with beautiful singing and heartfelt celebration of our country, and those who defend our freedom, both past and present. Although, I must admit that this part of the day became much more enjoyable after they discovered the wonders of air-conditioning! Then we would finish up the day with a good old fashioned barbecue, and find a cozy spot on top of the car to watch the fireworks. Some of my fondest memories have resulted from fun-filled 4th of July celebrations.
Now that we are all older, the traditions have changed a bit, for obvious reasons. I don't think that people would react too well to a 26 year old pushing thier children out of the way to get the most tootsie rolls!! Even though the activities have changed, the fun and memories are still going strong.
But more importantly, the 4th of July is a chance to celebrate this great country that we live in. Although I may not be thrilled with certain political leaders, or the direction they want to take this country, the fact that I am able to express my displeasure with their decisions is a testament to the freedom that we enjoy. Today offers us the opportunity to sit back and reflect on all the things we have been blessed with. It is a reminder to us all, that freedom truly isn't free. We live in the land of the free because of the brave. I am so grateful that there are men and women who are out there fighting, and who are willing to give their lives to keep us all free.
I had a lot of fun making this little video! This is a tribute to our troops who are still out there fighting for our freedom. Hope you enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment