Thursday, September 1, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I have been horrible at keeping updated on my blog, but I do have my reasons.  The past few months haven't been the easiest, and I felt I needed some time to process it all before attempting to write about it. 

After 22 wonderful years of providing safety and protection for my family, the time came to shut the doors and say goodbye to the only home that I have ever known.  I have spent the last few weeks up in Salt Lake helping my family pack up, and move out of my childhood home.  The decision wasn't an easy one to make, but after alot of consideration, tears, and prayers, it was decided that moving out was the best decision for our family.

In years past, I have moved out of that house, moved back in, and then moved out once again, which is typical for most children in their twenties,  but no matter where I was or where I currently found myself, the fact remained that that place was always "home" to me. And then all of a sudden I found myself sifting through boxes of photos, childhood memories, and things that have always symbolized "home" to me.  It became a little overwhelming at times, especially when decisions had to be made on what we could keep, and what we would have to leave behind.  We all experienced a wide range of emotions during the whole ordeal, and we were of course exhausted from the work and lack of sleep.  But between the sweat, and tears, there was of course a lot of fun, and a lot of laughter!  As always with my family, the harder things get, the harder we laugh!  And it was at those moments that I was reminded that 'home' isn't necessarily where you live.  It isn't the floor, the walls, or even the roof that covers your head.  That's what I would call a house.  In my opinion, a  'home' is made up of the people you choose to spend your time with, and the memories you make along the way. 

They say home is where you hang your heart (or so the saying goes)... So, although I can no longer call my physical childhood house mine, I can still always go 'home'.  My home will always be where my family is.  Although the situation wasn't ideal, I guess in a way I am grateful for it.  I'm grateful for the extra time I got to spend with my family.  I'm grateful for the time we got to spend reminiscing about the good old days, and the time we got to spend reflecting on the amazing people that have been a part of our lives.  Saying our goodbyes were very, very difficult, but I guess I'm grateful for those difficult goodbyes most of all.  It was a welcome reminder of all those who we have loved throughout the years, and those who have loved us back. 

 The Lord works in mysterious ways, and I feel that although it has been difficult, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I guess we never really know what the Lord has in store for us.  We are now looking forward to the new memories to be made, and the new adventures that await us! 

1 comment:

  1. I still want to bawl when I think about it. I have praying for you and your fam every day! Love you.

    ReplyDelete